Slate is one of the longest lasting roof materials available. There are slate roofs that are over 100 years old and they are still performing fantastically on the roof top. Slate is a natural rock that is mined and cut to become slate roofing tiles.
Benefits of Slate Shingles
- Slate roofing tiles generally last 80 – 100 years.
- Slate roofing tiles are unique in appearance.
- Slate does an amazing job at resisting water absorption. Because it has an extremely low water absorption index (.4%) it does really well in freezing temperatures.
- Slate is strong and isn’t as easy to damage in wind storms or hail storms as compared to asphalt shingles.
Negatives of Slate Shinges
- The initial slate shingle price is much higher than cheaper roofing materials, such as, asphalt shingles.
- If a slate roof does need repaired, it isn’t as easy to find a professional slater to do the job and it will cost more than other roofing repairs.
- Slate roofs are heavy and are not recommended for some structures that cannot support the weight.